Let’s talk a little bit about camping. This past week was my birthday (the big 27 in case you are wondering) and to celebrate I wanted to do some good old fashion camping. Some see it as the literal act of leaving the familiar comfort of your home, driving off into the wilderness, sleeping in a tent (on the cold hard ground) and hanging around in the dirt with nothing to do but stare at each other and poke a fire. This may be true but it’s so much more than that! You must be crazy to think this is enjoyable. Well call me crazy then because I LOVE it and here are 8 reasons why.
- CAMPFIRES-There is no feeling that compares to that of a good old fashion campfire. Campfires ignite a primal source of comfort and accomplishment deep within us all. It not only taps back into the whole caveman/cavewoman thing but also serves multiple purposes such as, providing warmth, keeping bugs away, key ingredient in making s’mores, and also provides great lighting for photos to make your friends jealous and make you seam like a total badass! Oh and the smell. I just love the smell of a campfire. I’ve tried buying candles that claim to provide the same smell and ambiance but nothing ever comes close to the real thing. Ain’t nothing like the real thing baby.
- BEING ONE WITH NATURE-So many of us live such busy and artificial lives now days. The closest some people get to nature is walking past a florist shop or sitting under a tree during a coffee break, which is a shame because I believe nature is essential to our well being and camping gets you in to the nitty gritty of it all. Which brings me to my next point…
- UNPLUGGING FROM THE WORLD-I will admit that I am addicted to my phone. When it’s not within arms reach, I feel naked and if you didn’t take a picture of your food did you really eat it? Being constantly connected is comforting but can be exhausting and a lot of pressure. Camping allows you to get away from it all in a socially acceptable way. But don’t worry, if the idea stresses you out way too much a lot of campsites nowadays are within cell service and some even offer free wifi.
- GAMES, BEERS AND BOXED WINE-My family always went camping. It was a bonding experience that I am so appreciative of…now. Back then, we used to complain about how there was nothing to do and took a million naps which nowadays sounds like heaven. One thing that was sure to keep us busy were games. From games like charades to board games and cards. Camping is the perfect setting to get super into any type of game because frankly there aren’t many other options, especially when the sun goes down. So get the lanterns set up or snuggle up to the fire and set in for a night of competition with the perfect sleep inducing side effects of boxed wine or a few beers.
- SLEEPING OUTSIDE-Camping can be as evolved as you want it. Whether you want to sleep in a tricked out motorhome with a memory foam mattress or a simple sleeping back under the stars, sleep surrounded by all of the sounds of the wilderness is enchanting. Companies are always trying to bottle the essence of camping with sound machines but nothing compares to the real sounds. If the sounds aren’t enough to get you snoozing than those that boxed wine should do the trick.
- PEEING IN NATURE-This is a simple pleasure that doesn’t exist and is frankly not socially acceptable in everyday life. But in nature anything goes! Popping a squat is not only relieving but also a great quad workout so get to squatting and mark your territory amongst the trees.
- EXERCISE-Usually speaking, camping goes hand in hand with easily accessible hiking trails or other heart pumping nature activities. So ditch the gym for a few days and take a hike, literally, you’re trainer will be fine with it.
- IT’S CHEAP!-If you’re looking for a cheap getaway, camping is the way to go. In almost every beautiful natural destination I have ever been to, camping is available and quiet frankly the better option. There are also plenty of options in close proximity to major cities so you don’t need to break the bank in order to travel. Some campsites charge depending on per person, per car, or per tent, but usually you can expect to pay no more than $10 a person per night if not less. Which gives you more money for boxed wine!